Forbes Magazine partnering with Sperling’s BestPlaces recently named Austin as its #3 Coolest City in America 2014.
Selection criteria included:
- A look at the 60 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas and Metropolitan Divisions (cities and their surrounding suburbs), ranking them on six factors weighted equally
- Entertainment and recreational amenities.
- Each city’s “foodie” culture
- Sperling’s Diversity Index, which measures the likelihood of meeting someone of a different race or ethnicity
- Age – places with a large population of people aged 20-34
- Population growth since 2000
- How much of recent growth was due to net migration.
Here’s how Austin scored
Arts & Culture Index: 75
Recreation Index: 48
Diversity Index: 66.54
Local Eats: 73.9%
Population age 20-34: 32.5%
2010 – 2013 Net Migration: 7.5%